Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Flower Hair Clip Tutorial

For some reason this is going to have a lot of pictures. Sorry they aren't that great either. OK, I know that there are a lot of tutorials out there on just about everything but I haven't seen anyone do a flower hair clip. So, I took it upon myself to do it for you.

1. Gather your supplies. I'm cheap so I got the flower and even the rhinestone from the dollar store. The ribbon I got in the dollar bin at Michaels. The alligator clip was in a box of 100 that I got from a beauty supply store. It was actually cheaper to buy there than it was to find them online. The rest I had on hand.
2. Measure how much ribbon you will need for your alligator clip. Cut.
3. Seal the edges with either a lighter, heat tool, or fray check. I prefer the lighter because it seals it instantly and I don't have to wait for it to dry (like fray check.) It may take some practice if you haven't done it before.
4. Glue the ribbon on to the clip. The side of the clip that is curved is going to have the ribbon wrapped around it completely. I usually start on the inside and work my way out but you can do whatever works for you.



5. Take the flower off of the stem. Then take the bottom of the flower off.6. Take the rest of the flower apart. There were three parts to the flower that I will discard. I just kept the petals in this flower.
7. Turn the flower over so that you start with the bottom layer first.
8. Here is the clip and the bottom layer upside down.
You are going to put a dab of hot glue on the clip.
Grab the bottom layer, flip it over, and press the middle onto the clip.
9. Continue with each layer till you are done.


10. Put a dab of glue on the top layer of the flower and add the rhinestone. Press firmly for a couple seconds.


11. You are done and can now add it to your daughter's hair. (My daughter was being a little silly here.)

Option #1 - I found a couple flowers like this one already put together. All I had to do was line the alligator clip and then put some glue on it and press the whole flower onto that clip. The easiest flower clip I ever did. If there were more decorative brads out there the flowers would be so easy to make. (Well, at least easier.)


Option #2 - If you want to keep the center of the flower like this one here all you have to do is take the bottom off and cut the plastic piece hanging out. Then you glue the the whole flower to the clip. Sometimes the plastic piece doesn't catch and you may have to glue again at the next layer.

Option #3 - I found some really cute buttons for the green Gerber Daisy. I was always trying to figure out how to use them when my mom came up with the idea of grinding the back of the button off. So, that's what I did. I had my dad grind off the back and it was perfect for the flower center.

Warning - If you are going to grind down the button be sure to not grind the silver coating at the very bottom because that's what makes the rhinestone shimmer. I got some buttons and it was ground off too much and you could see a square hole in the middle of the rhinestone. Be careful.

Here are all the flowers I have done so far. The blinds have been great in holding them for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have added you to LDS Listings. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great tuts! Some tuts tell you to cover the whole clippie and others say to cover leaving the bottom of the clip uncovered. Could you please explain why? Thanks so much Winnie

Tierra said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I think the reason for covering the whole clip would be so that it would have a non-slip grip. Not that it is that great. It also could just be the look. It looks a bit nicer if it's all the way covered.

I do it half way because than it's easier to slip it into my daughter's hair where it would be harder if it was all the way lined. You can also put a non-slip grip in there so that it works the same way.

I hope that helps. Let me know if I need to clarify more!

Annie said...

Thank you for your tutorial and great tips! Your flower clip is beautiful and looks even better on your adorable daughter.
Mine did not turn out as good, but your tutorial was helpful and I will try again!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Website Visitor Tracking