Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fruit Leather Tutorial

If you are like me then you have grown up on fruit leather that your mom made. This is one of the things I loved and still do. I thought I would share the easy way my mom made fruit leather.

First you get your fresh fruit from your garden (or wherever else.) Enough to make a blender full. I have peaches here.
Cut the peaches in half and remove the pit, any nasty parts, and the skins (Optional. My mom keeps the skins on. I didn't this time.) If you have really ripe peaches the skins peel right off.
My blender is about 5 cups and I filled it to the top. When blended it made about 4 cups.
This is after blended. I did not add any water. It didn't need it since the peaches were really ripe. I did add 1 tablespoon of sugar. My mom doesn't add anything.
Line your pan with plastic wrap. I did it twice and overlapped in the middle. You want to cover the whole pan.
Pour the blended fruit into the pan and shake it around till it is evenly distributed.
Lay it out in the sun for a couple days. When I made this it was about 107 degrees outside. It was almost done in one day. It took about 1 1/2 days. If you don't want to do that put it in the oven at 140 degrees. It will take about 8-12 hours doing it this way.
The fruit leather will be done when it is no longer sticky and has a smooth surface.

After the leather is dried roll it up in the plastic wrap and store it in the fridge or freezer. The leather will come off of the plastic wrap easily.

For a different way to make it (and with a couple more ingredients) go here. How To Make Fruit Leather from Simply Recipes.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Fruit leather sounds soooo good right now!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Website Visitor Tracking